If you’re involved in a car accident, it is important to remain calm. That is easier said than done, but if you overreact or let your emotions get the best of you, it’s more difficult to control the situation. There are a few steps that you’ll need to take after an auto accident after calling the police. Some of the most important of which include:
· Get the names and telephone numbers of other drivers involved in the accident. Provide the same information to them as well.
· Collect insurance information from the other driver(s) involved in the accident. Provide them with your auto insurance details also.
· Talk to any witnesses to the accident and gather statements from these people.
· Take photographs of the vehicles and the accident scene. These are benefits you’ll be able to use if you hire a lawyer and for many other purposes.
· Call an Oregon auto accident attorney to schedule a consultation. There’s no cost to talk to a lawyer to learn more about your case.
· Write down information that you may not need but that is good to have on hand just in case, like the drivers’ license plate number, vehicle make and model, and the registration number for their vehicle.
The Bottom Line
Although there isn’t a law stating that you must get any of this information, it is extremely helpful to do since it minimizes some of the headaches when it is time to file an insurance claim or if you choose to pursue the accident with a lawsuit. It’s never fun to become involved in an accident, but there is more peace of mind when you know how to react in the situation. The information that you gather can help prove who is at-fault for the accident and otherwise prove your case.